From many MRE advantages just to name few:
- Each MRE entree meal is pre-cooked, ready-to-eat
- Can be eaten hot or cold straight from the pouch
- No cooking or preparation needed
- Easy to transport in the event of an evacuation
- Shelf-life up to 4 – 6 years
- Complete Meal in One Package
- Only water needed is for beverage
- No dishes or clean-up!
What do MRE’s Taste Like?
Opinions vary all over the board on this question. Just like store canned goods, you either like them or not. They taste very similar to canned foods. We have some customers that love eating MRE’s so much that they have them for lunch several times a week.
Are MRE’s Dehydrated or Freeze-Dried?
No. MRE’s are totally different. Unlike dehydrated or freeze dried foods which both require water to reconstitute them, MREs are precooked “in the pouch” and retain their full moisture like canned food items, just with a much longer shelf-life.
What Specs were MRE’s Designed to Meet?
MRE pouches have been extensively tested by the U.S. Military and designed to a higher standard that normal store bought foods. Here are just some of the rigorous requirement they were made to meet:
- 100% survival rate from a military cargo parachute drop
- A survival rated of at least 75% in the event of a air cargo parachute failure
- Survive under the harshest of weather conditions
- Withstand extreme soldier field abuse
- Handle outdoor storage anywhere in the world
- Pass 7,000 individual pouch drops from 20 inches
- Be able to withstand a static load of 200 pounds for three minutes.
Can MRE’s be used for Camping?
Absolutely! The ready-to-eat convenience of MRE’s make them ideal for use while backpacking, camping, hunting, boating and fishing.
Are MRE’s Good for Food Reserves and Emergency Preparedness?
MRE’s are an excellent choice for short term (1-3 months) food reserves. When is comes to Emergency Food Reserves, several consideration must be taken into account. The basics considerations are 1) What emergency are you preparing for (power blackout, earthquake, hurricane, terrorist attack, etc.), and 2) How long do you want to prepare for?